Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Shake down ride

That's a really great bicycle and it seems a shame to not be riding it.  But not a single part, or for that matter the frame, is designed for 25,000 miles.  That's enough.

And besides, I was not exactly caught without transportation.  Here is the odometer reading after the ride on the bicycle I rode today.
I have zeros in the log for that bicycle for the last five years and that means it is probably nearly six years since I have ridden it.

It was in the basement.  When I last rode it the bar tape was silver and had deteriorated just behind the right hood to a state where the handlebar was not adequately covered.  I replaced the bar tape with Cinelli padded cork (my tape of choice) in the traditional color for bicycle bar tape, black.  The tape was previously silver to match the saddle.  I lubed up the chain (once every six years is probably a minimum), and pumped the tires.

Anybody want to say nice bike?
Because it is.

But six years is a long time and I was pretty sure I needed a short ride to make sure everything was still functioning.  I recall when Wireless wanted her junior high bike for adult city riding.  I took it down from the rafters of the garage, pumped the tires and lubed the chain, coasted down the driveway, turned the pedals and nothing happened.  That's a story for another time.

It was way too hot today, no ride seemed possible.

But after dinner I started to get the itch and around 7:45 I headed out for my first evening ride in even longer ago than the last time I rode this bike.

I was thinking I would coast around the cul de sac a time or two but a couple of things happened.

I know I mention this every time I switch from some other bicycle to this one.  Every bicycle I own is startlingly light to anyone unfamiliar with the  upper end of the bicycle manufacturing spectrum.   But this one?  This  one  is hellaciously light.  Ever for some used to ultralights, this thing weighs NOTHING AT ALL.  As soon as I was on it I wanted to ride it a bit.

I didn't even have bicycle  clothes on, I forgot my gloves, I only had one bottle with me.

I got home just before 9pm.

Pretty dark.

This is a great, great bicycle.

Back on the road again.

I am not sure I have any photos of this grouping in twilight.
So, 25,000 miles on FirstLOOK, 14,024 on New LOOK and 10,444 on my Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel Special Edition Custom Build, a three bicycle total of 49,468.  It is still quite a ways off but I think I can see where this is going.

4 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I was surprised and happy you went for a bike ride in the evening and very surprised when you arrived home wearing regular clothes.

Best cow picture ever, maybe. I love the light around 815-8:30 this time of year.

Emily M said...

I can see where this is going too, and wouldn't that be an accomplishment.

I do love the cows.

Retired Professor said...

This post was a ton of fun to read. Great story telling, and you clearly had fun.

Nice bike!!!!

It certainly is possible to ride without bicycle clothes -- we did it all the time in the old days and as kids. Just be sure you don't get your pants cuff caught in the chain ----

Anonymous said...

NICE BIKE!!!!! P