Monday, June 15, 2020

Once around

I had a very significant ride today.

It was my longest ride of the year so far.  All of my rides are shorter now but this one was almost long enough to make it to the Port Sheldon Party Store and back.  That will be a big deal if I get any miles near the PSPS this summer.

The reason why it was longer is because I needed a couple of extra miles for a milestone.  Here is a LOOK at my odometer after I arrived home and before I moved that bicycle into permanent retirement.
One time around the planet.

That's going to be enough for that bicycle.  Here is what it looked like when it first arrived at my house.
It was a little bit too warm today and I was riding a little bit farther than I have been riding so a bit past half of my planned mileage I paused and sought out some shade for a little sit down.  A nice lady walking her dog paused and asked if I was okay.

*sigh*

I replied that I was and thanked her for her concern.  She continued, asking if I needed any water.  I showed her my two water bottles.

*sigh* again.

Well, it was a hot day, and that lady's old dog looked like it was overheating and could have used some water.

We had some silvicultural excitement in our back yard this morning.
Our large cottonwood occasionally throws a branch that it is no longer using to the ground.  This one today came down on the ash tree.

TOPWLH just so happens to have already scheduled some men to come out and check on some of the other trees.  They can take care of this bit in the course of their other already scheduled business we are both sure.

One time around the planet.  Imagine that.

4 comments:

Retired Professor said...

WOW. Just WOW. Good on ya.

TOPWLH said...

Ditto to what your sister said. And great picture of the really big branch. I am glad it missed the deck.

Retired Professor said...

The mention of the PSPS should be motivating to me -- I haven't gotten very close to it yet, and it would normally have been checked off much earlier than this. I've been thinking about stretching out my rides, but that's still a big stretch. I suppose I should get started -- only of importance if you actually get any miles near the PSPS this summer. I hope so, of course.

Emily M said...

That is an extraordinary number of miles. And you have other bicycles with lots of miles on them too! Amazing. You deserve some sort of award/trophy - I'm sure Norah would heartily agree.