Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Bicycling resumes

Almost.

Last Tuesday was quite a nice day.  It was sunny and one of the warmest days so far, above 50 if my memory serves correctly.  We had an outing, a dinner at a friend of mine's house, a friend of mine who happens to be married to TOPWLH's second cousin.  There is a fairly interesting story there.  The second cousin and TOPWLH were not aware of each other (their grandfathers were brothers) but the second cousin had done some genealogy.  She showed some of it to her new husband.  He (not she) recognized the unusual name and looking a bit closer noted that he also recognized the name of her husband (me).  So we are all cousins now.

Anyway, cousin and spouse were hosting a dinner for a college friend visiting from England (yes, that one) and a few other of his and our college friends.

We had a wonderful time reliving old times and catching up.  At least three of them asked if I had been out bicycling yet.

Well, actually no, but it felt like Wednesday was a possibility.

It was colder on Wednesday but I set out to make a ride happen.  I got my early season bicycle down out of the rafters and pumped the tires.  But then the amount of time spent collecting my early season costume from the six or seven places where parts of it spent the winter pretty much eliminated the possibility of a Wednesday ride.

But I was ready for Thursday.
Alas, Thursday was quite a bit colder than Wednesday even and definitely not the sunny and warm of Tuesday.  I hung on though, optimistic.

It snowed on Friday.

Saturday morning we awoke to a furnace on the fritz and more cold weather.

The furnace is limping along, we are okay for now.  But yesterday this April snow thing got really serious.

The rails on our deck were completely devoid of any snow cover last Tuesday.
And it is still snowing.

Certainly there will be some bicycling from my garage some time soon.  But obviously it will not be real soon.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Well, crap. The radar has been blue over your city for the past couple of days, but I was hoping it was less aggressive.

I did recognize some of the characters in your story, particularly the English couple. Sounds like that was fun, at least.