Monday, December 11, 2017

1971?

Well, actually the writing on the back of the first photo says Labor Day 70.
 I wasn't there.  I do remember the Fiat.  The writing on the back says: "4 cars, 4 people, 3 houses and 2 tricycles.  Photo by Sylvia's husband John."

Oleander Court?

The processor printed a date in the margin of these two.  1971?
I was in the Army in 1971.  My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think this must be late 1971 after I returned from Vietnam.  The first one doesn't look like any lamp Sylvia ever owned and the second one has a print that I definitely associate with Jim.
I may have visited them both, my memory is a bit fuzzy.  I do know that I went back to Fort Stewart, Georgia, and served another six or seven weeks in the Army before receiving my final honorable discharge.

4 comments:

BDE said...

Sylvia is a babe in that Fiat picture and really cute in the unknown lamp pic.

And Nancy and Johnny! Love these pictures.

Santini said...

Thanks, BDE. High praise.

Yes, Oleander Ct. in the first one. John's red Chevy Impala in the background. Jim was living in Detroit at the time for some assignment with the computer company he was with at that time. I've seen similar photos within the last month from that same visit. Nancy has one she loves with Just her and Jim. Mine are Polaroid, so won't last. It might have been Labor Day of '70.

In the second photo -- Hope Farm Rd. living room -- orange lamp and all. Why??? Who knows. You drove up from Texas to pick up crates that you'd had shipped to my house from Viet Nam. Two of them, wooden. John put hinges on them, we painted them (one white for Nancy, one yellow and red for Johnny) and used them for toy boxes for years. The white one finally bit the dust when we moved out of the bay house. I can even tell you the story of the shirt I am wearing in the photo....

Jim's apartment on Grand Avenue is my opinion on the last one.

Good stuff. The past exists, it is frozen in time. Photos and memories.

Gino said...

The last one I think is his apartment in Houston. He was living in Houston as noted in your reference to me driving up from Texas when I got out of the Army. I think that's where that photo was taken.

Santini said...

Yeah, I should have figured that out. He lived in a lot of different places during those years, including NYC, I think. (I thought long term memory was supposed to be what old people kept, while losing short term.)