Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Investigation report

It was hot today but mostly overcast.  When the clouds were present the wind felt temperate enough to allow a little riding around.  When the clouds parted the sun was a burden.  When the clouds were present the possibility of precipitation always was present.

Just riding around.

I had about nine miles in when the sun first became a burden.  After that only roads that led closer to home were considered as an option.  Even so a couple more periods of clouds allowed me to achieve a respectable total.

I spotted this about four miles from home and about nine miles from the end of the ride.
That's a Trek comfort bike, a fairly nice bike, several important degrees above the department store POS that we all see so much of.

It is leaned against a signpost in the middle of a block with no lock to be seen.

All signs point to this being a stolen bike.  The thief lives nearby but not in the house that the bike is in front of.  He lives within walking distance, for sure.  But he was wily enough to not leave the evidence directly in front of his residence.

The bike was also stolen from somewhere within walking distance.  He was out walking when the opportunity theft presented itself.  Where I spotted the bike was close enough to Como Park that I suspect that is where the crime occurred.  The lesson is, as always, do not let your bike out of your sight if it is not locked.

Chance that the bicycle will ever be returned to its rightful owner?  Almost nil.

I ride through that neighborhood a lot.  I have no evidence whatsoever but if I had a guess to identify the perp I know what my guess would be.

5 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Funny. Sounds like a low key Agatha Cristie story. Maybe you can point out the possible perp to me if we ever ride that way together.

Santini said...


Good story telling. The bike looks new, or at least not much used. Shock absorption everywhere -- front fork, seat post. Very clean, nice city bike for a casual rider. (One step below recreational rider.)

Santini said...

Is that internal cable routing?

Gino said...

I don't think internal, I think just very tight to the top tube. Internal cabling would be a step up from the price point I suspect for this bike. For example, I don't think internal cabling comes on a bike with a kick stand. I could say that I will ride over and take a look but the heat and humidity is oppressive today and that bike isn't there anymore anyway. Probably stolen again within a couple of hours after I spotted it and possibly taken a lot farther away from home with the secondary theft.

But I agree, a pretty nice city ride, a just riding around bicycle for an occasional rider. The owner probably misses it already.

Santini said...

Look in front of the T in TREK on the down tube. There's a wire entering the tube. I can't imagine electronic shifting at that price point either, but I see something there.

Rained most of the day here, then oppressive humidity to finish out the day.