Thursday, June 30, 2016

AM heavy rain

I had given up hope to be honest.  I was hunkered down waiting for Poland v. Portugal when I happened to glance out the window and noticed that the street in front of our house was dry.

Digression:  my favorite Brexit story has only a little to do with the EU.  Tony Blair was being interviewed on one of the cable outlets and after the handwringing had played out the host mentioned to Tony the Euro 2016 results from the first quarterfinal (England 1, Iceland 2).  The former prime minister replied that everyone in the UK was Welsh now.

I went out for a ride and missed almost all of the game although I did get back in time for part of the 2nd OT and the penalty kick shoot out.

It was a nice day for a ride with only a few damp spots still present in heavily shaded areas.

I made it all the way out to Lake Vadnais.
That algae is pretty distasteful looking especially considering that I drink that water.

I was riding the reverse direction of the usual ride and that meant that I wanted to ride towards home on the Snail Lake swamp/Grass Lake trail.  The trail descends down along the east side of the main swamp.  I usually take a traverse at a dry land spot and finish on the west side.

That dry land spot was under water.

Further along the east side trail was under water.  However there was a group of children out for a ride with somebody's mother and one of the kids knew that you could ride off the trail along a newly created dirt path and get past this particular water hazard.

I did that but then at the south end the trail over to the tunnel to Grass Lake was under water.

I had gotten quite a ways south by now and mostly wanted to just get out of there without having to take a multiple mile detour and/or without having to climb a particularly nasty little hill, short but very steep.

I hoped to jump back on the Grass Lake portion of the trail on the south side of the tunnel.

That's the tunnel back there with about 4 or 5 feet of water.
Needless to say the trail here was also under water.

I made it up the hill but I was not happy.

We had some heavy wind here last weekend.  Not much happened in our immediate vicinity but part of the joy and wonder of riding a bicycle is that you get to see a lot of stuff that isn't visible from you side yard.
As I say, we didn't have any of that in our immediate vicinity.

What we did have was AM heavy rain followed by the rest of the day being way plenty nice enough for a ride.

No comments: