Friday, June 24, 2016

Perfect photo conditions

I got all the way over to the Falls today and had a pretty rare photographic experience.  I was standing at what must have been the very edge of the shadow cast by a cloud bank.  The Falls were in the sunlight but I was in the shade and therefore did not have to battle the effects of sunlight directly onto the lens which so often make photography over there difficult.
Today was just point and shoot.

Of late I ride more than I blog.  This one was taken Tuesday I think, a first look at one of the rain gardens that I frequently ride past.
The plants which will eventually produce the cardinal flowers are over there on the right but nothing is in bloom yet.  Not to worry, it will soon be an oasis of color.

I have heard that there is a new Martha's Cookies coming to the north end of the Fairgrounds.  This is one of two construction sites on what could plausibly be considered the north end.
The other spot doesn't look like a concession stand, the windows don't look like anything where you could efficiently conduct commerce.  The construction at this one looks more like it.

Across the street from the Fine Arts Building, near the Salem Lutheran Church Diner.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely classic picture of the falls. What a beautiful day for a bike ride. Also a good day for walking around the Como area looking for artwork for the new living room, but I miss biking. Soon outdoor activity will trump home improvements!

Interesting about the new Martha's Cookie location (mostly so we can avoid the lines since we haven't bought any for decades).

Santini said...

Are Martha's cookies any good? I like a good cookie, but there are few foods worse than a bad cookie.

I like the falls photo too. Really pretty.

Cardinal flowers.

Emily M said...

The cookie place is going to create a crowd issue in a previously less crowded area of the fair. Boo.

Santini - the cookies are pretty good while still warm, but definitely not as good as the hype.

Gino said...

Nearly everyone thinks warm right out of the oven chocolate chip cookies are pretty good. These are IMO quite ordinary even mediocre cookies. But warm right out of the oven? Hugely successful Fair concession, I think I read somewhere that the concessionaire grosses approximately $3 million in sales over the 12 day run of the Fair.

Emily M said...

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2015/08/10/minnesota-state-fairs-top-grossing-food-vendor.html

Yep, $3 million easy.

Santini said...

Interesting numbers. That makes that a valuable piece of real estate. I'd never have guessed it was anywhere near that.