Saturday, December 1, 2012

My street has no outlet

Theme day, my street.
After taking my camera for a bicycle ride 150 or so times I took it for a walk yesterday.

I noticed when the corn field appeared to have been tilled after the harvest was over. It turns out that they did more than cultivate, they have put in a row crop.
I have never seen this before, I have no idea. Erosion control? They have never done that before, why now? Possibly some sort of nitrogen fix or some such agronomy technique of which I have no knowledge?

Winter wheat?

Today in hockey, a new record crowd at Ridder Arena for Gophers 4, Badgers 1.

7 comments:

Retired Professor said...

All good guesses on that corn field. Erosion control used to involve leaving the corn stubble behind, but my knowledge is very out of date.

Walking appears to be bloggable.

Gino said...

My take is that walking will only very occasionally be bloggable. Walking for me is almost always going to be within a mile and a half radius of my house (that would be a circle with a circumference of about 9.42 miles). There isn't enough variety within that limited area to blog about on a regular basis.

Gino said...

Someone else do the area.

BDE said...

Is Pi required?

Emily M said...

Sure. Area = pi x the radius squared or about 7.07 square miles.

Looks like fun.

Retired Professor said...

7 square miles (Thanks, Em), should have lots to see. It's a very different level of detail. I never knew that there were grapes growing along the fence on Lakeshore between Lakewood and James, for example, until I walked that path instead of rode it.

Retired Professor said...

Also, you're not limited to the edges, you can go cross country on foot. I've found a couple of neat paths that link up paved areas.