Sunday, December 9, 2012

Brought my bicycle down into the basement

See the problem is when I bring the snowblower back inside for storage after completing snow removal the temperature inside the attached garage is always above freezing and the accumulated snow on the blower, the stuff you cannot sweep off like the stuff inside the auger, melts. The floor gets wet and stays wet pretty much all winter. The snowblower's spot is immediately adjacent to the bicycle parking spot. There will be no $2,000 wheelsets standing in water for three months.

I actually moved the bicycle over to the door into the house before I even began. When I paused to get this photo I had to go inside to get my cheap camera and when I did I moved the bicycle inside. So technically, the bicycle season officially ended DURING the first snowblowing of the season.
It must be apparent from the photo that it is STILL snowing. In fact, the big plow, the one that does the street went by again while I was out there. Digression, we have a big plow and a small plow on our street. The small plow only does the circle. That plow was by about three hours ago. This was the first I have seen of the big plow. The big plow goes fast and blasts up and down the straight bit up to the corner. I am guessing that we are back in contact with civilization should the need arise.

Digression, good luck to family members living in the two big cities just to the south of where we live. When we get a bad one for the first one it seems like the big cities NEVER really get adequately dug out. The snow has arrived late but it could still be a nasty one. The days are still getting shorter.

After getting myself inside and actually getting the bicycle into the basement I took my nice camera and got a view of winter wonderland.
The prediction was 3 to 5 inches. A good look at the ruler will support my version of the story that we have about 7 already and, AND, it is still falling.
There was one day in December when I could have ridden. I didn't. Now I won't.

On the bright side my walking fitness has returned, I mostly feel pretty good out there on my daily rounds.

EDIT: A little past 7pm and it is still coming down. That looks like 9 inches now out there on the picnic table.
We haven't seen the plows again so far, but the street has descended back into deplorable driving conditions. Clearly there will be more plowing before morning and that means this is that most unusual of events, the two snowblowings required snow emergency.

3 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I like the last picture. Maybe by morning the ruler will be out of sight. Thanks for a new, interesting desktop background.

Santini said...

That's a lot of snow. Snowblowers are much more useful than bicycles in that.

Emily M said...

I envy your snowblower but, on the other hand, at least we have a lot less square footage that needs to be shoveled.