Monday, October 15, 2012

Public art

When I first rode past this my initial reaction was that it was an interesting piece of public art.
Something about it made me circle back and take a closer look. The wet spot underneath the spout fairly clearly establishes that it is actually a public source of water.

I rode today in the nicest temperatures we have had for a while. The high cirrus clouds kept the sun from ever enjoying primacy of the sky though and as a result we never really got the blue blue sky which is one of the things that makes a nice fall day so nice. But it was warm and the wind really didn't blow much at all.

I got some pictures yesterday which I didn't blog because of some more entertaining diversions, and keep in mind please, that I blog for entertainment.

But a couple of the pictures still seem worth publishing.

It is late enough in the fall that the geese have gathered in quite large numbers. This group is in Island Lake.
That's my home of record at time of entry into the military service over there on the far shore, one or another of those buildings.

Yesterday I was really JRA, more so than usual even. Yesterday the park where I now access the northern lakes had that archery deer hunt going on. I knew that the paths were still open but I thought it was probably just wiser to leave it all completely alone. Plus it had rained overnight and I doubted that the path through the tree lined stretches would be dry.

Riding on wet leaves also does not seem like a good idea.

JRA got me out to the Victoria Street Orchard out in Shoreview. I have been there a couple of times before but never before when the apple trees right next to the driveway were doing so well.
I have read that the extreme drought conditions we have had was hard on the apple crop but that does not seem to be the case for this particular orchard.

Of course, these trees are quite close in to the office and retail outlet and have an irrigation system installed. That is probably not true for the trees up on the hill.

I don't know, I didn't get off my bicycle to go up on the hill.

On the way home I got at least a tiny shot of the blue sky which I never really found today. I was riding on that street just after passing by County Cycles when this red beauty presented itself posing against that cerulean blue.
So that's two days for the price of one. I have to skip a day now and then in October because as we all know but are pretending to not notice National Blog Every Day for a Month Month looms.

I have a couple of things archived for use but I know from past years that before the month is over I will be out of material and I will on at least one day end up just blogging about blogging.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Good stuff. Again in no particular order:

Pumps that looked a lot like that were semi common in my childhood, especially in the Yellow River area. It doesn't look like yours needs to be primed, though. A skill I never learned.

West Michigan lost 95% of its apple crop to a late hard freeze this spring. The few local apples that were harvested were only cider quality.

I've already done some blobbing about blogging, and may be in trouble next month.

TOPWLH said...

I like the apple orchard picture (let's go pick some apples) and the "red beauty presented itself posing against that cerulean blue".