Friday, October 12, 2012

More about wheel mechanics

Frost formed on the grass shortly after dawn today. I guess that means we are not officially into that next part of the season. Lots of stuff that was living yesterday (like for instance the plant that was a summer long project on the picnic table by TOPWLH) is a dead and goner today.

There are a bunch of trees over on Summit Avenue that seem vaguely in the wrong zone or something as I have noticed over the years that the leaves never actually change color. Instead at the first freeze every single one of the still green leaves drops to the ground. There are at least a couple different species that do this between Fairview and Cleveland on the north side of the street. Today the pavement under those completely bare trees was carpeted in slightly wilted greens.

Very strange looking.

The big weather news though is that after a couple of days of skittering off the stage like a stage frightened thespian the sun today reasserted itself. It was still several degrees below average temperature but the sky was a wonder to behold. Here it attractively surrounds our big old for this part of the world stone church, with a little color thrown into the foreground to prove that I took this picture today.
The real reason I rode over there relates to bicycle maintenance.

I know, again.

While I was talking to Scott about the HubDoctor he revealed that he had actually had to consult with another mechanic about the whole hub problem. In what seems to me to be a really cool illustration of how the whole field of bicycle mechanics operates outside the normal retail box, the mechanic he chose to consult was one of the two other extremely competent mechanics that I know from having patronized County Cycles, Dan.

Most will say, so? Dan doesn't work at County Cycles anymore. He has his own shop. My ride today was to drop in on Dan at Omnium to say hello and thanks.

By the way, here's what the Pro Freehub Rebuild Kit with Hybrid Ceramic Bearings looks like.
Isn't learning things fun?

When I got home my neighbor was out in the yard and he made that vaguely sociable inquiry, how are you? I replied that I was absolutely exhausted and that it felt great.

3 comments:

Jimi said...

St Paul Cathedral. A nice old church, and pretty big for the Saintly City.

I think Omnium is an odd name for a bike shop. And Fuzz is an odd nickname for a guy named Dan.

Retired Professor said...

Omnium and Dystopia. Two new words today, and I'm supposed to figure out how bicycle hubs and bearings all fit together? Oh, and pawls. They're in there somewhere, right?

"skittering off the stage like a stage frightened thespian" -- my favorite descriptive phrase of the year.

Keep us informed.

Retired Professor said...

Omnium -- a multiple race event in track cycling. Something I didn't know.