Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Possibly more public art

I got home at about the time that the mail lady was arriving on her delivery rounds. I met her at the window of the mail truck where she remarked on what a beautiful day it was. And indeed it was, nearly 70 when I finished my ride, don't know, maybe it got all the way there before the evening cool began.

It already gets dark so very soon.

Here is today's public art.
Or maybe it is a public source of water.

Or maybe it is a leak in the water main. In any case, it is an unusual sight to see water bubbling out of the street. when I spotted it I was reminded of yesterday's pump. For this one, I assume men will arrive fairly soon and get to the bottom of whatever it is that is going on out there.

Recently a local newspaper guy created quite a commotion out of having been led to this artifact in the woods near the Fairgrounds. Apparently this arch marked the Fairgrounds entrance where the Como trolley and later the Como bus stopped to allow users of those forms of public transportation to enter the Fair.
We have learned since the discovery that the arch was removed probably in the early 60s. The newspaper guy and persons of a similar vintage who attended the Fair in those years are quite astounded to find this for them extremely nostalgia loaded artifact intact after all this time. I am included in that vintage but never attended the Fair in that period of time, I was busy with the Polk County Fair in Fertile.

Anyway, at first the newspaper guy was coy about the location of the thing. However, in the modern era everyone who has internet access has access to high definition aerial photography capable of providing a level of information that would have been stunning to military strategists of any earlier era. People knew it was from the Fairgrounds, the column had let slip that it was in a wooded area, those who cared just examined the available Google map images and looked carefully at any area fairly near to the Fairgrounds that was wooded.

It took about a day before the comment section on the column filled up with location information.

I rode over and took a look. It is nice to have a bicycle and lots and lots of free time, it makes an otherwise pretty pointless quest like this one at least an opportunity to get some exercise.

I was mostly JRA at this point but I hadn't really been to any body of water, something I like to do, so I rode by Lake Como and got this photo from the top of the hill at the southeast corner of the lake.
When I got home Scott had called. My wheelset has been repaired. Most likely tomorrow I will be riding again on NewLOOK.

It was fabulous, though, to get to ride my "emergency back up bicycle" for a few days. I put 202 miles on it which seems like a lot until you consider that I increased the total mileage ridden on that bicycle by about 1 percent.

Having the wheels off and riding them over to the bike shop and back in the car gave me a chance to look at the tires perhaps a little more carefully than I might have otherwise. The back tire on NewLOOK is starting to display that flat spot in the center of the tire that indicates to me that a different tire is probably prudent.

If it isn't one thing it is another.

5 comments:

TOPWLH said...

I want to see that fair artifact. And I love the picture of the trees at Como (now my desktop background).

Jimi said...

Where is that arch thing. I'm sure I've never seen it, but I do know where the trolley went through Como Park.

Maybe I should just do a satellite view search on google maps.

Santini said...

At least it wasn't a geyser.

70 is pretty warm for this time of year.

Sometimes bicycle maintenance just wears you down. Good thing you're retired.

Gino said...

Small overgrown patch near the corner of Wynne Avenue and Winston Street. Arch can be seen from the very back of the state fair parking lot behind the former PBS (now the CW) studio at Winston and Como. I took the photo from inside the fence of the parking lot at Minnesota Diversified Industries (the former Montgomery Wards parts warehouse) at Wynne and Winston.

Emily M said...

I have a tire for you, so at least there's that. The NewLook does have the blue tires, right? We can definitely arrange something this weekend.

Lovely trees at Lake Como. Everything is just so pretty this time of year!