Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Warm up stalls below average high for the day

It was a near heat wave as the temperature climbed from 10 degrees below normal to only 1 below normal. Here is an example of what near normal temperature does to water.That's the first appearance this year of water in liquid form, this particular water being pooled up in a low spot in the corn field. Therefore this picture also qualifies as the first peek at this year's corn crop.

After I took this picture I was putting the camera back under the numerous layers and getting my gloves back on etc. when a guy driving a large pick up with one of those covers over the bed stopped and inquired if everything was OK, whether I had a flat, obviously intending to offer me a ride home if I was so inclined. Guys in large pick ups do not generally fit the profile of bike friendly motorists, in fact, exactly the opposite. The first bicycle-motor vehicle interaction of the season goes completely against type and is actually quite pleasant. I thanked him for his generous offer but showed him that I was merely putting my camera away. I am going to count this episode as a positive omen for the upcoming season.

Negative omens for the upcoming season are that again today it was still too cold to ride. In the depths of winter when I contemplate riding again I generally tell myself that I will go out when it is 50. But then I end up trying it when it is 40. This year is typical in that I end up riding in the 30s, even down to, oh say, 34. Today was 44. Too much frozen ground, frozen lakes, snow on the ground, still too much cold. Today the parts of the ride into the wind were just plain too danged cold.

But I got out, the season begins again.

1 comment:

Santini said...

What is your normal high this time of year? Ours is upper 40's, but we're running about 10 degrees below normal most days as well. Nice to see the cornfield, though. Field work always seems promising to me, and they can't work frozen fields.

The guy in the pickup was definitely going against type. I've had a few interactions with motorists this spring -- most are good, as they wave me across or slow down, wait until it clears, then go around. A couple of idiots have honked angrily because I'm not on the snow covered bike paths.

40 degrees is my 'official' cut off point, but it is a rule I break consistently. I think I did a post on the topic. 34 is good, though water on top of ice is more dangerous than just about any surface you can think of. 44 sounds practically balmy. Glad you got out again -- March is a tough month on bikers, but then, it is the first month of the season 'up north.' A 'base miles' month.