Thursday, July 23, 2020

Hampden Park recreation in the time of virus

Our governor declared face coverings mandatory in all indoor spaces open to the public, the requirement to become effective Saturday.  This renders the Monday action by the local city council something less than relevant.  The council on the city website provided tools for local merchants to deal with citizens who might not otherwise be aware of the new requirement.
The state mandate begins Saturday, the city mandate begins Monday.

I had a nice ride today, a bit less mindless than my last outing.  The possibility of rain was absent so I was free to get a bit farther from home than I have been.  I got all the way down into the big city where I took a mid-ride sit down in Hampden Park.
It is a small neighborhood park along the route I take to the south.  My fitness seems to be better or perhaps I am choosing my sit down spots more appropriately as not a single person approached me and inquired whether or not I was overheated.  I was not but a little mid-ride sit down in a pleasant spot is still a good thing.

I was sitting on a park bench having had a snack and some water contemplating my next move.  For some reason my attention was drawn to the path directly in front of the bench.
It appears that someone has recently been using that park bench for a little recreational smoking.

I took a photo of the rose in front of the bank that used to be a post office.
There are 20 of those things around town, all or nearly all within my current bicycle range.  Perhaps I will eventually post pictures of them all.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I rode past a young man who was reloading his jersey pockets, bike on the ground. 40 years younger than me, at least. Armed only with a multi tool and a smart phone, I asked him if he needed any help. He responded no, thanks. The thanks seemed genuine. It’s just the civilized thing to do, in my opinion. I was bemused by the exchange.

I like the roses.

Emily M said...

I fully endorse the "bike to all the roses" plan - I was sort of hoping that was the direction this is going. Fun!