Thursday, August 9, 2018

Recommended by Opal

Opal said that it was the best cinnamon ever.  When she was a girl the Watkins man came to their farm and her mother Olga always got some cinnamon.  Best cinnamon ever.

Later on our beloved dafter worked for a corporation that was also the owner of Watkins.  When I first started buying this cinnamon it was at least partly because of the employee discount available to me through that offspring.  I buy in bulk directly from the name on the can.

Because it IS the best cinnamon ever and I use it exclusively.

Every year we get a coupon book for the State Fair that features a discount on a single 6 ounce can of Cannelle.  We get two of those coupon books and always make a swing down to that end of the grounds to purchase our discounted two tins.  Best cinnamon ever.

The last time I purchased directly from the name on the can I bought a very large amount.  I calculated how many cans I would have to buy to raise the amount of my order to the level where I would get free shipping.  I think it might have been something like 18 cans.  I know that the cinnamon comes 12 to a box and inside my shipping carton I had a full unopened box and several more cans.

Well, I am almost out.

I went to the website as I have in the past.  I don't really want that much cinnamon on hand at this point so I was going to order a couple or a few cans and figure out how to minimize shipping.  Something has changed at the website and now in order to figure out shipping before checkout they required that I call them.  I've been trying to get around to that.  In addition I decided that I should check the local grocery store price to be sure how many I needed to order to make the price worthwhile with shipping included.

The price at the website was $9 almost $10.  When I checked earlier today they were running a special for $8.54 per 6 ounce can.

After poker tonight I stopped at the grocery store for the sole purpose of visiting the spice aisle.

$3.99
I bought all they had in the store which admittedly was only three cans.

Best cinnamon ever.

2 comments:

TOPWLH said...

Since I don't really like cinnamon and cannot recall ever using any from the copious amounts GZ has purchased over the years (he really likes it on his oatmeal), I cannot comment on Watkins' quality. I can say that it has been fun buying it at the fair (thinking we were saving money plus it is a tradition after all).

Emily M said...

Wow, that's a crazy difference in price. Excellent perseverance.