Monday, May 7, 2018

PSPS

I rode on Saturday.  I got a photo but didn't post anything.

It was my first ride of the season to a destination.  A destination ride means you go somewhere.  Life experience dictates that you not go somewhere until you have confidence that you will be able to get back.

The first destination was Lake Como.  Here is LOOK at Lake Como.
Lighting for that photo may make it indistinct but the ice is definitely out.

Saturday made three days in a row, again something that I haven't done for a long time.  I took Sunday off.

But I was out again today.  I added a couple of miles to my previous distance and can now report that if bicycle fitness does not significantly degrade between now and August that I will be able to make the out and back ride to the PSPS.

I was just across Snelling heading to some JRA at the Fairgrounds when a young person on a pretty nice bike passed me.  He took the time to tell me that he really liked my bike.

So the old bicycle still has it even as the old bicyclist increasingly does not.

The extra couple of miles took me down to Dead Man's Curve.
That spot actually has been well within range almost from ride 1.  There didn't seem any reason to go there though as there isn't anything very close on the other side of the underpass to justify going through there.  What you get is some unpleasant traffic, an uphill I really don't care for and usually a bunch of broken glass in the bike lane.

The thermometer said it was 82 when I was at the Cattle Barn.

A nice day for a ride.

3 comments:

Santini said...

The title to your post startled me at first look. (See what I did there?)

Destination rides -- I was having a conversation with a neighbor yesterday who has a friend who bought an e-bike (assist) and justified it because he no longer has to worry about riding too far and not being able to get back. My comment was that after 25 or so years of fairly serious biking, I know how far I can ride and still be able to get home on any given day. I may also have mentioned that one learns to pay attention to the wind direction. Yes, I know I am sometimes insufferable. It suits me though.

Nice post, and nice bike.

I haven't done it yet myself, but I plan to add 2 miles to the ride to and from the PSPS, so I can return on 160th.

Emily M said...

I do love those green tires.

Norah's Grandma said...

Late checking the blogs, but I do like that picture of the Look. It is a nice bike.