Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Back to the future day

Actually it is in the sequel, Back to the Future II where all the references to October 21, 2015 occur.

Just sayin'

When I had guest riders (plural form includes lower case) I promised that before the season was over this would be one of the prettiest trees in the woods.
Today was my first time back to that location since that day and this maple is starting to put on a show.

The scuttlebutt circulated by the tourism folks was that the colors this year might be the most spectacular in years, due, they said, to ample rainfall.

Well, timing is everything.

The maples are coming into their own now and they promise to be pretty spectacular.  But to me it looks like we are already way past peak.  All of the yellows are gone, those trees are bare.  You can see several of those in the above picture.

There is also an oak just frame right of the feature tree that while certainly red, is a duller red than is often the case.

C+.

I have seen three wooly bears so far this year but missed for various reasons photographing the first two.  Here is number three, photographed yesterday.
This one appeared in the driveway right outside my garage.  There is a problem, however.  There was a wooly bear in the exact same spot today.

Two possibilities of course.  Coincidence is one, the other is that's a former caterpillar never to ever become an Isabella Tiger Moth.

2 comments:

Santini said...

I remember that point in the ride. It's pretty, with a way to go to be the "most spectacular."

Our colors have been pretty average to my eye -- sunny days set off the colors better than the gray and gloom we've been experiencing lately.

I've seen a half dozen woolies, three or four snakes and a few dead deer on or near my trail this month. Sometimes it's better not to look too closely.

Mrs. Smith said...

That wooly bear is "bloody demised". Too bad.
Nice picture of the trees in the woods.