Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year's Eve left over cheese tart

I got a really nice tart pan for Christmas.  The last time I bought crust there was a 2 for 1 on the crescent roll dough.  We had quite a bit of left over cheese after our New Year's Eve extravaganza.  I thought that the moons had aligned for yet another version of the cheese pie.

This one has NO camembert, it is mostly brie with a bit of Saint Andre.  The brie that we had left over and that I used IS a quite high quality brie, the one that has within the group that gathers annually at Lake Michigan acquired the sobriquet of "smooshy" cheese.  The Saint Andre is a bit firmer but this does not detract, it is in our view an exceptional cheese.

Or as described in the Wikipedia article linked above:

It has a soft buttery texture, tangy edible rind, and tastes like an intense version of brie.

The fat content of Saint-André is so exceptionally high it can make a white wine taste sour and metallic.  A crust of baguette and a light beer or simply a slice of pear are suggested by the manufacturer as better complements.
This time I went with twice as much bacon (two of the microwave bacon 4 strip packs) and more spinach.

Nice pan.  Really nice pan.

As is always our practice with this dish, baked today for consumption tomorrow meaning no taste review is available at this time.

I think it LOOKS pretty good though.

4 comments:

Santini said...

I have an extra container of crescent rolls -- I may have to try a version of this. I haven't seen any good smooshie cheese here, though.

Emily M said...

That looks excellent! I hope it also tasted great.

How did the pan work out?

Gino said...

Excellent pan. Really cool to pop the whole thing out through the bottom and then transfer it all over to a regular plate.

Thanks.

Incidentally I am currently in the process of proving to my own blog that I am not a robot.

TPOWLH said...

It did taste excellent and the pan is really cool.