Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Still daylight in the swamp

These first few days of DST are SO disorienting. I just don't know what to do when 6pm is still totally daylight.

I have spent lots of time over the dark season reading detective novels. I found a new guy that I like a bit for a few of his books but then he threw in a massive clunker with one of those the guy who did it isn't even mentioned as a person of interest until it turns out on the last page that he did it endings.

Pathetic.

That's not suspense, that's not mystery, that's a complete absence of imagination, that's B.S.

So of late I have been rereading the guy that I really DO like. Here's a first sentence from a chapter of the one that I am currently reading:

"The dawn came like a sheet of dull steel pushed over the eastern horizon, cold, sullen and stupid."

That sure enough is dawn in the winter in Minnesota.

They had a big snow storm in northern Europe yesterday. Here is a video posted by ParisDailyPhoto, it includes lots of recognizable landmarks blanketed by unrecognizable whiteness, I found it to be lots of fun:

I played outside today, it was almost warm with only a raw wind from the NW ruining the ambiance. The sun is high in the sky (comparatively) and even with temperatures only around freezing the snow and ice on the driveway is gradually giving up. It won't be long now.

5 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I do soooo hope you're right.

BDE said...

Very cool. I like the umbrellas. No one uses umbrellas to stop the snow from getting in your face around here. I prefer springtime in Paris, though.

Retired Professor said...

That would be Connelly? I liked his first book, but not enough to get his second one.

Gino said...

Connelly. The Bosch books vary wildly in quality. The other characters are better but most of the books are Bosch.

I have a dozen or so, I will bring a few to the summer reading festival.

Retired Professor said...

Excellent. "Summer reading festival." I like the way that sounds.