Thursday, January 20, 2011

lazerquest makes media splash

Noted local bicycle commuter, former fellow worker bee and occasional Gzmoohoo.blogspot.com commenter lazerquest has today made a splash in the local media with comments on winter bicycling. In a typically understated approach LQ has not deigned to assume the lead role in the article (not appearing in the accompanying photos) while providing most of the meat of the article with multiple quotations (that means two) about riding when most people don't. Kudos to lazerquest for providing high quality grist for the media mill.

I suspect that most of LQ's acquaintances all already aware of this media appearance. I note that lazerquest has never revealed any personal details about himself while commenting here (a prudent approach while surfing the inter-tubes), therefore I am not going to provide any either. But for those who cannot find the article on their own, I am willing to say that it is one of the local outlets (think the one with Sid) or if you like, leave a comment and I will try to provide you with a link to the article in a non-public manner. I think I have the e-mails of most of my frequent readers, if you suspect that I do not, provide what you consider to be a safe e-mail address in the comment and some arrangements will be made.

Today marked another installment in this winter's longish running serial, "There is no bad weather, there is only inadequate gear". It was 6F when I headed out for my one hour walk (that's about -15C for any Euros or Canadians who might tune in). The wind chill is reported as -13F. I went anyway. The reasons are two fold. One I have been at this for a couple of months now and the refinement of gear continues. The second is that with the refinement of gear I fear not wind chill.

Windchill as we know is the effect on bare skin of the combination of the ambient temperature and the cooling effect of wind. The local bicycle/snowboarding shop has had an end of season (already?) sale on snowboarding gear and I got an excellent price on these goggles.With those things on I head out for a walk with exactly ZERO square centimeters of exposed skin. It is a bit strange to be able to feel the force of the wind blowing against me but to have that wind have absolutely NO EFFECT on my comfort. Dressed in my down coat, fur lined leather mittens, wool cap, wool socks, expedition weight base layer, a face cover and those goggles I am toasty, yes indeed, toasty warm.

Winter, where is thy sting?

Well, if you have a flat roofed building with a leak in the roof drain you may be feeling a bit of a sting.I moderated some comments today and discovered that I have been castigated for my recent paucity of posts. Well!!

OK, then, actually I must admit that the criticism is fair.

My very first post of last calendar year concerned the Warroad High School girls' hockey team. Here is a former member of that team (although certainly not last year's team), a former Gopher and a member of the 2010 United States Olympic Women's Hockey team (and one of our personal favorites) making a bit of a media splash of her own.

Kudos to Gigi, I think she has a future in that business. On a side note, I only very recently discovered that the product receiving the GigiEndorsement is manufactured right here in my home town.

Perhaps more to come on a slightly more frequent basis.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back Gino, you have been missed. Citizen Laserquest International also recently logged two wheels in two countries in two days.

Retired Professor said...

I hear that International Falls hit -40 this morning. If you need ski goggles to walk outside, it is too dang cold. Still, hard core. I have been fretting that next week looks cool here again -- highs in the mid sixties, with some liquid precipitation scattered about. I won't need goggles to walk outside. Or layers. Just a raincoat.