Friday, January 21, 2011

Gear update

Today is the coldest day of this year. Depending upon source of the report the temperature high is either going to just reach or just fall short of zero. One source I have seen is reporting +1F, I have seen another reporting -1F (either about -18C). In fact, it may be the coldest day of the past several years.

I delayed my start until about 1:30pm to allow the maximum time for the day to lift itself out of the deep freeze and then set out on my one hour walk. Yes, I spent an hour outdoors today.

I could tell that it was cold. In fact, my thighs even felt a bit cold as I started out. But those large muscles get themselves warmed up from the work they are doing and then they are fine. Today I spent not a single moment calculating percentages in my head instead constantly reminding myself to check in with my various body parts to make sure that all parts were still checking in. Wiggling your toes while you are moving does NOT contribute to an efficient stride but it is a good way to verify that you can still feel them, and still move them.

There will be no photo today. With temperatures that dangerous the only way I was going to bare any skin to the elements was if I had to take off my mittens to re-tie a shoe (I took special care with that detail before starting out and they stayed tied). I had no intention of exposing skin just to operate small electronics.

It was so cold that not only did I not see any other walkers, there was a distinct shortage of even automobile traffic as most people did not even want to face the prospect of sitting in the frigid front seat waiting for the car heater to kick in.

I could tell that it was cold but there is no bad weather, there is only inadequate gear. For this climate and for today's conditions, my gear is adequate.

1 comment:

Retired Professor said...

Frostbite happens quickly in those temperatures.

Grease in bearings starts to stiffen up, too. Not relevant, but interesting.

Extreme sport.