Sunday, February 1, 2009

Odds and ends

This is supposed to be a bicycle blog. I have already posted this picture once this winter but here it is again: Two of the best bicycles on the planet, one of steel, one of carbon fiber.The first stirrings of the season are beginning to show up here.

I did a little bicycle maintenance. Actually I got my chain checker out and made a chain wear measurement to decide if bicycle maintenance was needed. The chain seems still OK, no maintenance contemplated at this time.

I updated my software. I prepared the spread sheet on which I will record mileage for 2009. This mostly involves transferring data from BikeLog08 to BikeLog09 but as is usual there was a small amount of redesign of the spreadsheet necessary. The software update also created an opportunity to check BikeLog08 for mileage on the current set of tires. I have nearly 1,600 miles on the current set of Michelin Pro2Race (endorsed by Gino). I decided not to change the tires even though that mileage is near the usual change point. I inspected the tires and they still seem "pretty" good so instead of a change at this time I will begin the season on tire watch.

But the largest news of the weekend is that FC Nantes has taken a huge step towards respectability with a convincing win at Le Mans on Saturday. Yoann Poulard and Frederic Da Rocha scored in the second half to lift Nantes to a 2-0 road victory against their Loire Valley rivals and in so doing boost the team up to 12th place and what is going to have to be referred to as "mid-table". The season is only just past the midway point but Nantes, the Ligue 1 newcomers, appear to be leaving the relegation zone firmly behind at last.

2 comments:

Santini said...

Pretty nice bikes. It sounds a little bit like spring fever to me.

I still love paper and pencil for my bike logs. Odd behavior, I know.

Santini said...

Speaking of maintenance issues, that yellow bike looks suspiciously like it has a flat tire. gfr