Friday, January 25, 2013

One morning one of us, having no black, used blue instead, and Impressionism was born.

Along with a bunch of detective novels I have been reading "The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris" by David McCullough.

A couple of years ago I had an opportunity to spend as much time as I wanted standing without the interference of a crowd about a foot and a half in front of the painting "Jeunes filles au Piano" (Girls at the Piano) by Pierre Auguste Renoir during an exhibition of that famous work at "Paris au temps des Impressionistes, Les Chefs-d'oeuvre du musée d’Orsay à l'Hôtel de Ville", Paris in the time of the Impressionists, Masterpieces from the Orsay Museum at City Hall, in Paris.
In the McCullough book Renoir is quoted as explaining, "One morning one of us, having no black, used blue instead, and Impressionism was born."

3 comments:

Retired Professor said...

Tres jolie jeunes filles.

Jimi said...

Is that all there is to impressionism? I could have invented it myself.

Very pretty French girls. I think I must have seen the painting at the City Hall, too. It seems to me the exhibit was loaded with great treasures. Nice.

Mrs. Smith said...

Renoir! Lovely post.