Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Story time

A brief moment of cloud cover blew through just as I began to ride.  It was a warm day but that tiny moment without sun spooked me and I ended up with a south loop, an east loop, and a north loop.  The theory of course is to not get too far from home on a day when you aren't sure of the weather.

There was no need to worry, though, as the day turned out just fine.

Here I am on the east loop with a LOOK at Lake Como.
Lake Como is pretty and urban and close by but it turns out to be one of my least favorite places to actually ride.  I suppose there at least a couple of reasons but the one that comes to mind today is that there are a couple of spots, one on each side of the lake, where traffic can get a little unpleasant.

Here is MY annual lilac photo.  There are white flowers and violet flowers growing on the same branches of the same bush.  I have too much time to think about such things while riding and today I contemplated whether it is possible that the violet flower lilacs are hybrids of the white and the deeper purple lilacs and that some mixture of flower coloration is normal for this hybrid.
I started thinking about this about two miles after taking the photo when I noticed another lilac with what, in passing, appeared to be a single white cluster on an otherwise violet flowering bush.

Today was a little windy but it ended up being a really, really nice ride. Today for the first time in a long, long, time (like at least five months) I felt strong at the end of the ride. Too often in the early part of the season I spend the final miles of a ride just getting the horse to the barn. Today I felt strong enough that I was pushing hard, riding for effect for most of the last five miles. I felt strong, I felt fast (relatively speaking, of course).

So here's today's story time.

Here's something you don't see too often. I don't recall ever seeing this exact thing even a single time before. Make up your own story.
Mine is top down on the convertible and perhaps a few too many recreational beverages.  It's either that or a person has been buried in the street over there to the depth of her hair line.

2 comments:

Retired Professor said...

I vote for the second explanation.

Santini said...

I didn't know it was annual 'post a photo of a lilac bush' day. Nice one. I don't remember the white lilacs from my youth, but I've seen a couple of them recently. They're rare here, though. I wonder if they have the same fragrance.

You seem to be on the other side of a ridge or something. It's still March here.