Saturday, May 24, 2014

First round of the draft

TCWUTH told me some time before the onset of the most recent horrendous winter that there was some new pavement over at the University, a new path.  She told me approximately where it was and today I had a chance to search it out.

As I was riding up and down streets between the new medical research buildings over there behind the stadium I came across this piece of public art that I had never seen before.
It's the Cancer and Cardiovascular Research Building.  I rode around it a few times looking for information about the art but found nothing.  In addition to all the twisty pipe there are giant blocks of granite over there with nice circular holes drilled through them.  I kinda like it.

The new kids like their stuff big.

Eventually I got onto the path and it is indeed excellent.  This puzzled me however.  It looks to me that the only way to get to this spot is on the path and yet there are cars parked there.
This is pretty much along the route of the former railroad tracks underneath 15th between 4th and University, pretty much Dinkytown.  I am not certain but I think that overpass is 15th Avenue SE.

The path leads down to the river to the University pedestrian bridge.  I think I've been across this before but I am not 100 percent certain.  It used to be really hard to access for a bicyclist.  I believe I had to carry the bicycle down a stairway.  But not anymore and as promised, new pavement.

The pedestrian bridge provides some pretty much not seen before vistas.  This is the look downstream to the Washington Avenue bridge and the river flats.
That area on the right side bank there is where the wreckage of the freeway bridge was stored until they were through with the investigation.  Tall buildings on the right  behind the bridge are University West Bank classroom/office towers.  Buildings on the left are East Bank, buildings center are Minneapolis.

The look upstream features the Tenth Avenue bridge, followed by the new 35W bridge and through the Tenth Avenue bridge in screen center you might be able to make out the Stone Arch Bridge.
All in all it makes for a pretty painless entry to Minneapolis, much better than, for example, the Stone Arch or the Franklin, or the Marshall, or the Ford bridges, my usual paths across the river.

I wanted to explore a bit further but just barely across the bridge I came across this on the downhill exit from the bridge.
Loose gravel?

Access interdite.

I'll have to explore there at some later date.

As long as I was in the neighborhood I swung over through Main Street and rode part way out on the Stone Arch.  This is NOT recommended on weekends, particularly one of the first really nice weekends of the year.  Too many people with even the ones who are paying attention not being a good mix with bicyclists, many of whom are also not paying attention.

But I got a video.

I rode down Main Street a ways to this spot.  I have a few hundred photos on my hard drive (and on a flash drive) taken at this place.
I had to wait to take my photo until that gaggle of young women off to the right of my shot finished having several group shots taken in the doorway.  They peered through the window and one of them proclaimed excitedly to one of the others that it was really cute and would be an ideal place for a small wedding.

Irascible old fart rant:  They rent Segways next door.  They are riding them around on the sidewalk there, training people to take the "Magical History Tour".

My issue with this is that they refer to these things as human powered and then ride them any old place they want to.  When in fact they are not anything human powered at all, they are battery powered.  A electric motor vehicle unmistakably, sorta like a Prius.  Segway jerks is how I think of them.  They act all green and ride on THE SIDEWALK and on EVERY bicycle path within range of their battery power.  End of rant.

The first round of the draft for the Indianapolis 500 is declared open.

I take Marco.  Look, some Andretti is going to win this thing some year, maybe this is the one.  I am jumping the gun on this but I know I want Marco and this opens up the dialogue.  I believe TOPWLH is now on the clock but I expect that she will not be actually making a choice until she has a chance to review the Sunday morning newspaper.  Santini goes 3rd, after that Jimi, then TCWUTH, then if anyone else wants in they better let me know because otherwise the second round is likely to kick off pretty rapidly thereafter.

Note:  I don't think the NASCAR guy is going to win but wouldn't that be a kick?  Seeing as he drives for Andretti Autosports.  I also don't think he will win the NASCAR race.  Too many miles in one day, 1,100 if he finishes both races.  The most miles I have ever driven in one day is in the 750 or so range and I was tired.  Of course, I was also not driving over 200mph.

Danny Sullivan is NOT entered this year.

23 comments:

Santini said...

Iff available, I'll take the Kiwi, Scott Dixon. Otherwise I'd choose the Ozzie, Will Power.

Excellent post.

Nice video.

I recognized the restaurant immediately.

Gino said...

By the way, I'll take Hamilton in Monaco.

Emily M said...

My first choice is Will Power. However, if I am trumped by Santini, I'll take Hinchcliffe.

Emily M said...

P.S. I am glad you enjoyed the new pavement.

Santini said...

My pick for Monaco is this guy:

"pick for the win will be Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg who will start on Pole. Rosberg is the defending winner - also from Pole."

(Sorry my English not so good.)

Santini said...

NASCAR? I'm tempted to go with Jeff Gordon, though his starting position doesn't look good, and there's talk he's suffering back spasms. And 600 miles is a long time to sit in a car with a bad back.

Jimi said...

Helio Castroneves, Sao Paulo, Team Penske if I'm on the clock.

BDE said...

I will choose Hinchcliff.

Gino said...

No slacking from me, I have already watched one car race today.

In Monaco, Mercedes goes 1-2 but I get the order wrong, Rosberg first, Hamilton second.

So far Marco, Dixon, Power, Castroneves and Hinchcliff. I open the second round with carburetion day leader and defending champion, from the Ganassi team, Tony Kanaan.

For the World 600 I select ol' Jimmie Johnson.

BDE said...

My second pick is Simon Pagenaud.

Santini said...

Second pick? The pole position car driven by Ed Carpenter.

One pick enough for the Coca Cola Classic?

Jimi said...

Seconmd pick, another yellow car: HUNTER-REAY, RAHAL7745

Emily M said...

Sebastien Bourdais, of Le Mans.

Emily M said...

Also, Danica Patrick for the Coca-Cola 600.

Santini said...

Unless GZ or BDE wants him, I'll take that NAASCAR guy as my third pick, just for fun. Kurt Busch.

Gino said...

OK then, I've got an Andretti car, a Ganassi, clearly I now need a Penske.

The only one left, Juan Pablo Montoya.

BDE said...

My third pick is Carlos Munoz (all Hondas).

Emily M said...

Josef Newgarden is my 3rd pick.

Jimi said...

If it's not too late, I take Jacques Villenuve - another yellow car.

Gino said...

A great finish by three yellow cars. First and second seems pretty good for Jimi.

Only about another hour until TV coverage of the World 600 kicks off on Fox.

Santini said...

Jimmie, Jeff and Danica were the only picks. That Busch guy did pretty well in Indy for a rookie.

They're playing Amazing Grace on bagpipes in Charlotte, NC. Pretty cool.

Gino said...

Personally, I love the pipes. You get Busch for having expressed interest.

This last race is going to have to go some to be as exciting as the first two but the day changing to night with the resultant change in track conditions is conducive to exciting changes of leaders and dominant cars.

This last one could also be a pretty entertaining race.

Dune Dweller said...

It was too entertaining -- I stayed up to watch the end. Nearly 11... Both Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon were contenders until that last yellow. And Busch did okay by himself -- 909 miles of racing, number 6 in Indy and a blown engine at Charlotte. Quite a day.

Congrats on your win at the 600.