Wednesday, July 24, 2013

20C

Some will recognize that one of my early season rules is that I will not ride without full leg covering until the temperature reaches 20C.

Today I had to sit around for about an hour after my preferred starting time (until nearly 1:30) because the reported temperature outside had not reached 20C and because when I walked out onto the driveway to gauge conditions it felt just too dang cool.

Is it still July?

I didn't want to miss today as tomorrow's forecast is for thunderstorms.

Even so, I had pretty much decided to bag it for today and come back again for a try tomorrow when without much in the way of warning the heavy layer of clouds parted and the sun came out.

I hustled out and participated after all even though that late a start throws a wrench into my otherwise carefully scripted schedule.  The sun stayed out for a bit over an hour.

It was fine.

It was maybe even pretty nice.

Is it still July?

All things considered I stayed within the longer loops from home.  The wind changed directions while I was out which forced me to turn back from a direction I was having fun with but as seems always to be the case when the weather is iffy I ended up doing a lap around the Fairgrounds.

This is on the corner kitty corner from the DNR building and just in front of the big yellow slide.
It is yet another example of how the Fair continues to change from the farmer's exposition that I remember from years past to a commercial eating festival.

The church dining halls which offered full meals are gradually falling by the wayside and in their place the rising powers are local restaurants.  Mancini's is a popular local eatery (famous for their steaks).  They knocked down something less permanent at that corner and what is going up looks like it will be a rival to O"Gara's (another popular local eatery) for the partial meal (and a beer to go with it) crowd.

I don't know, it's all good with me I suppose except I lament the loss of those old style church dining halls.

Only two left.

As the photo shows the sun WAS out for a while.  It ended up being warm enough and it was a nice day to be outside for a couple of hours on my bicycle.

Pretty much like lots and lots of days.

1 comment:

Santini said...

Hard to believe that 68 is too cool to ride. It's the "after the heat wave" effect.

I imagine that part of the problem is that there are fewer and fewer church ladies willing to provide the manpower to run those old style church dining halls.