Sunday, October 17, 2010

Has Brewster been fired yet?

I was watching one of the weather channels and Sven kept explaining that it was only a few degrees below average, that it feels really cold because the temperature has been so much above average for the last couple of weeks.

Oh! Well, thanks Sven, that's good information.

I had to get an early start again today. I did that yesterday because of hockey, I did it today because of the extremely important football coming up in about an hour. That makes two football references so far both of which may only be intelligible to locals.

Here's a third, they should fire Maturi too.

With an early start it was still cool and it was the coldest temperatures I have ridden in since spring, only in the low 50s. But the sun was out, winds were light from the south and all in all, it was very pleasant. It reminded me of why October is my favorite month.

I may have posted this particular yard display last year but if I did it still seems worthy of a replay.You can see from the photo that it was sunny at this point. I was pretty unprepared for what happened about an hour and a half into the ride. I HAD noticed that it didn't look as nice to the west over Minneapolis as it looked where I was but I wasn't tracking what was going on over there. Suddenly what seemed without warning, boom, overcast. The wind shifted around to the north and this wind a little bite to it. I went from a really pretty October day to one that looked and felt like November.

Sven in his discussion of lower temperatures also pointed out that there is a strong possibility of frost for tonight and that delicate plants should be covered if you want to try to prolong their lives. With that in mind I got what may be the last photo of the flowering plants in the often featured yard near home.Some of them are orange, a couple seem pretty much purple (another football reference), a smattering of white, a nice selection of pink, and off to the left there some yellow with reddish orange centers. I am able to identify none of the above but I suspect, based on the yard, that they are more likely native than exotic. The photo also demonstrates that the sun is no longer out.

I think they should hire the University of South Dakota football coach.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think the South Dakota coach is too smart to come to the University. How about Vince the Sham Wow guy?