Sunday, November 29, 2009

My bicycle, an appreciation

This is my bicycle. It is very much MY bicycle, when it came into my house it came as a bare frame and a collection of parts.I personally selected every part, everything from the chain to the derailers to the seat post to the handlebar tape.I put it together my self, guided by a basic understanding of what it was supposed to look like when it was done and what it was supposed to be able to do when it was done. I was also guided by usually excellent installation manuals that came with most of the parts.When it was brand new and had never been touched by either lubrication or road grit it stood for a photograph in our living room. That's the hand of TOPWLH. She would not stand (and neither would I) for this bicycle posed in that spot now.The LOOK and I, five years of riding. More than 18,000 miles which considering the average speed reported to me by my bicycle computer at the end of each ride comes out to between 1,400 and 1,500 hours. When I worked the work year was considered to be 2,088 hours. So I spent the equivalent of about three fourths of a working year on that bicycle, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 9 months. It is very, very much my bicycle.

1 comment:

gfr said...

Nice bike.